
Advertisement
Rear Admiral Roy Vincent Trinidad, a spokesman for the Philippine Navy, said the 1,500-tonne tugboat 185 had been sighted just 5 nautical miles (9km) south of the ship on Monday, but it would “take more than a tugboat to pull out BRP Sierra Madre”.
On Tuesday morning, two Philippine coastguard ships – the BRP Melchora Aquino and the BRP Bagacay – and civilian fishery patrol vessel the BRP Francisco Dagohoy were intercepted by the Chinese coastguard ship 5304 while heading towards the shoal, according to satellite tracking data.
They turned around when intercepted near Half Moon Shoal, about 110km southeast of Second Thomas Shoal, and continued to circle the area for some time.
Advertisement
Chester Cabalza, founder and president of Manila-based International Development and Security Cooperation, said the two sides had been “peacefully coexisting” near Second Thomas Shoal in recent months but now heightened tensions had returned to the area.